There are many reasons to create your own mobile app, first and foremost is that almost everyone has their smartphones with them at all times, and apps allow people to be in constant contact with the outside world. In fact, it is not hard to say that apps have changed our lives, and changed the way that businesses interact with customers. A mobile app enables businesses to both engage with current customers, and gain new ones, which can open up new streams of revenue.
According Statista, Google Play generates the largest amount of worldwide app downloads. In the third quarter of 2021, users downloaded 27.6 billion apps from Google Play.
So, How can I Build a Mobile App?
Well, there are two main ways that apps are made, you can develop your own app from scratch or use an app maker. Unlike custom app development, an app maker requires no software downloads, and is easy to navigate, providing step-by-step instructions which will allow even the most basic computer user to develop and launch their very own mobile app.
Start by answering questions, such as:
- Who will be using your mobile application?
- What do I need my app to accomplish?
- What kind of user interface does my app need to have?
After answering these questions, you should have a good idea of what you will need from your app.
8 STEPS TO CREATE AN APP
1 STEP: COME UP WITH A GOOD IDEA FOR AN APP
The first step is to brainstorm an idea for an app, and then to begin developing that idea. A good way to start this process is to take a look at the plethora of apps in the play store, specifically those that are placed at the top of the app charts. Note the style and type of apps achieving this success, this will show you where the customer and user demand for apps currently is.
Quite often app developers tend to make the error of developing an original, and completely new idea for an app. Unfortunately, these apps end up failing most of the time. It can be quite disheartening to put that amount of time and effort into your new idea, only for the app to falter in the app store, failing to draw a large audience.
One thing that you should never do is to make an identical copy an already existing app. What you should do instead is to observe the style and theme of the app you admire and look for a way to make it better. Take, for example, Sudoku, there are numerous Sudoku apps available for download, however, there are some top Sudoku apps which are more successful than others.
When trying to come up with an idea for an app, every one of your thoughts should be documented. Whenever a new idea is imagined, stop and write it down in as much detail as possible. This will allow you to build on your idea from day to day until the app is completed.
2 STEP: HAVE A CLEAR IDEA OF WHO YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE IS
You need to have a very clear understanding of your target audience. Things like their likes, dislikes, how they like to consume content online, what makes them tick, and what can retain them as customers.
You should explore and validate your ideas in order to know if there is a need for the app you are envisaging, so, that you will not end up creating an unnecessary application. The main thing you should strive for is an app that would serve a purpose and also be user friendly.
Finding your target audience is a crucial phase when you create an app from scratch. Without knowing who you will sell your products to and who will ultimately purchase them, you can not go ahead with app development. You risk wasting your whole marketing budget or even burying a potentially good app concept by missing this step. Considering the millions of apps that have already been developed for Android, making your product stand out from the crowd and finding and holding customers is not a simple challenge.
3 STEP: TRANSLATE YOUR IDEA INTO REALITY
When making an app there are two routes that you can take, you can either code your app from scratch, or use an app maker. You must choose the way which is best for you and your needs when building your app.
Unlike custom app development, an app maker requires no software downloads, and is easy to navigate, providing step-by-step instructions which will allow even the most basic computer user to develop and launch their very own mobile app.
You can build a native Android app from scratch just by choosing one of the free app templates and then filling the forms of the creation page with relevant content.
AppsGeyser offers 30+ free app templates for business or personal use: games, education, websites, social media, etc.
We will cover the basics of how to make an app with AppsGeyser App Maker. Let’s continue.
4 STEP: SELECT ONE OF THE FREE APP TEMPLATES FOR YOUR IDEA
We’ll go through some of our templates and give you an idea of what you can do with them.
The full range of Android app templates available at AppsGeyser can be found here.
We would like to focus now on the most popular templates:
- Business Website app template: This is our most popular app tool of all time. This app tool can be used to link to your own personal website (optimized for mobile use) to your app. And, this app template can be used for more than one thing. You can use it to create links to your website, your blog, or even your social networks. That is already 3 different apps that you can create from one template alone.
- Messenger with video calls app template: If you want to make a video calling app for commercial use, or just for you and your friends, we have an Android app template for this. In the app that you create you can make groups or have one-on-one interactions among the app users. All the common features like emojis, sharing images and videos, push notifications, and different types of internet connections are all integrated into the template. All you have to do is give it your personal touch.
- Game app templates. On AppsGeyser, we have multiple game app templates to choose from. You can customize the layout of your own game using our GameMaker. Games are proving to be very popular not only with the younger audience, but also with businesses.
- VPN App Template. Create your own VPN app to provide secure VPN access from any country. Your app made on the Premium VPN template can be monetized using ads. You also can sell VPN services to your app users.
Here are a few videos that will help you create your own app in just minutes. Watch the videos and you will see how simple it is to do!
5 STEP: UPLOAD THE APP CONTENT AND NAME YOUR APP
Fill in the required content for your app. You can add images, text, files, links, and videos to your app.
How to Design an App?
Follow the step-by-step guide to make your app in less than 10 minutes. You will need to customize your app look to make it truly unique. You can customize the color scheme and style, add the background image, add and edit tabs, edit the “Welcome” screen, name your app, and then upload the icon.
How to choose the Name for your App?
As a user, when you search the play store for an app, the first thing you see is the Android app’s name.
You may create a great app but if you fail to name your app appropriately then your app will be of no use. If you name your app effectively then you will be able to separate your app from other apps and make it unique.
If you want your app to be found in organic searches, then you must consider using a keyword tool. Knowing what keywords people search for is very important. To learn this, you can use a keyword tool such as Google Adwords, but you must know how to properly use the data that you gather. If you think that a keyword having over one million views per week is good for your app, then think again. A keyword that has a lot of competition can prove to be counter-productive. This is because potential users that type that keyword into a search will immediately be shown all of the competition to your new app.
Your app should be named in a way that the users get an idea of what your app does just by looking at its name or icon. Your app’s name or icon is the thing through which users will judge your app.
Go with simple and easy words. Naming your app based upon the core features of your app will give you major advantages.
It is almost impossible for the users to remember an app with a long name. Opt for a name that has minimal characters.
You must be prepared to test several names before you get to that one perfect name for your brand.
6 STEP: DOWNLOAD AND TEST YOUR APP
Your Android app is now ready for download.
We recommend that you download the APK file, install and test your app from an Android device right away. APK is the packaging format for Android apps that you install on your device for testing. With the APK file you can see how your app looks on a mobile device. The easiest way to get your app onto your mobile device without adding it to the app store is to scan the QR code into your device. By scanning the code onto your mobile device, you will gain instant access to your app.
Read more how to install your app here
7 STEP: PUBLISH YOUR APP
To upload Android apps you need to create a Google Play Developer account. While registering you’ll need to pay a one-time fee of $25. After signing up wait for the approval by Google.
There are a few steps that you must be aware of when publishing your app to GooglePlay:
- Apps must be optimized for the app store prior to loading them to GooglePlay.
- GooglePlay has a pre-moderation stage in which your app will be reviewed to see if it meets Google standards.
- You should have great quality screen shots, your AAB file, and a credit card at the ready when you are ready to open your account. AAB is a publishing format that you need to submit to the Play Store for publishing your app.
What is App Store Optimization
App Store Optimization is the app version of SEO. Many of you will know that in order to find your website on the first page of Google it must be fully optimized to help fight off the competition, well, the mobile world is pretty much the same. Competition is heating up and the need to get your app fully optimized is now vital to ensure your app has any chance of being found organically within an app search.
To publish your first free app you need to prepare the following things:
For more information on ASO please click through here to our ASO post.
What is GooglePlay Moderation?
Too many apps are being created that are simply not up to standard, either the app has inappropriate material, or it is incomplete. GooglePlay is trying to crack down on apps that fall within these two categories.
Now it’s time to upload the AAB file to Google Play. Once you upload your app into your GooglePlay developer’s Console either one of two things will occur:
- Your app will appear as published in Google Developer Console (however it will take 2-3 days to appear in GooglePlay)
- Your app will appear as a draft in Google Developer Console – This does not mean it won’t be published within 2-3 days, it just means is that it is being held for app review.
Why is Your App Held as a Draft?
There are a few reasons why GooglePlay would consider your app a draft.
- First app – This is your first app and GooglePlay may wish to check your credibility as an app maker.
- App name – Your app name contains some words that trigger GooglePlay’s attention, this may be because the name looks like it could be spam or it may look as though it is copyrighted material of another brand.
- App description – Your app description may not be complete, or may be too short or vague. GooglePlay wants app descriptions to be as clear and concise as possible so that app users are not wasting their time downloading apps that are not relevant to the app name or app description. Descriptions need to be keyword strong, content relevant and not written in a robotic style.
- Incomple datafields – If you have not completed all the fields in your app developer console, or put what looks like junk in these fields, your app will be picked up for review. This is because GooglePlay wants to make sure that the app is real and not junk.
8 STEP: PROMOTE AND MONETIZE YOUR APP
The most challenging part of making an Android app is the marketing process.
EXCELLENT APP STORE OPTIMIZATION
We already discussed app store optimization in step 7. Immediately after your app is available on any app store, you need to utilize app store optimization to keep it on top of app store search results. It is essential that you also update your app frequently and get as much feedback from your audience about the app as possible.
USE A DIFFERENT APP STORE
The Android app market is dynamic, It keeps growing yearly, but it isn’t the only app store. Currently there are several app stores available for you to upload your app, an example of a popular alternate app store is the Amazon App Store. Uploading your app to multiple app stores is a great way to increase the reach of your app.
You need to develop mutual relationships with influencers to get the help you need in promoting your app. Influencers are people with authority and power to influence the buying decisions of individuals. You can leverage their popularity to get your app to those that need it, to be aware of its existence.
You need to devise all means of marketing, including email marketing. Ensure that you add your app links to a newsletter, customer service emails, and always make it a habit to use it in email signatures.
USE A WEBSITE
A website is one of the easiest and most popular ways to get your app noticed, you can highlight your app through your website. AppsGeyser provides an option to link people to your app. There is a code on your dashboard. When you add the code to your website, it offers a pop-up for the users to click and download your app when they check the website from a phone.
SHOWCASE YOUR APP IN A VIDEO
Videos are one of the quickest ways to display your app to potential users. People enjoy watching videos. Create a unique 30-second video and then use social media platforms to promote the video as much as you can. You can also use a blog post, websites, and Youtube channels for the promotions.
Strive to increase your visibility on all social media platforms, including groups and communities. Engage with your followers and ask for their feedback on your app.
Most app developers shun review because of the negative feedback. But, it is necessary to get reviews because it will help you know the mind of your audience. Also, reviews will be a learning curve for you. Reviews help to reveal the issues that you need to improve.
How to monetize your mobile app?
A variety of different strategies are present for Android applications to make money.
These strategies include:
- In-app purchasing
- In-app advertisement
- Using the subscription model for the application
- Finding a great sponsor for the application
- Using the premium version of the application
- Researching profitable niches for the Android application
- Creating Android applications that run on multiple Android devices.
You can use one strategy, or multiple strategies at the same time in your Android application to gain revenue. You can read the details of these strategies in this article – How to monetize your AppsGeyser mobile app.
BENEFITS OF BUILDING ANDROID APPS WITH APPSGEYSER
AppGeyser is one of the leading and best Android app builders with over 10 million apps created to date. AppsGeyser offers easy visual template tools for app creators like drag and drop. The AppsGeyser allows to build Android apps with a few simple clicks. The app developers on AppsGeyser are encouraged to apps and distribute apps to the major Android app stores, including Google Play and Amazon. Users need no prior experience or background to build Android apps using the free and easy development tools. To experience how to build Android apps from scratch you need to choose an app template suitable for your purposes and follow the step-by-step guide and uploading an app content to drag and drop App Builder. Our users build apps for their existing businesses, for personal use, education and as a tool to make some extra money.
Why AppsGeyser is the best App Builder? AppsGeyser’s Android app builder platform is made for you:
1. Fast App Development – If you wonder how long doest it take to build an app – it takes only 10 minutes! 10 minutes to build an Android app from scratch, do you imagine? The only preparation you need is to decide what app do you want to build.
2. Easy App Development – You don’t need to code or to understand how app design works. The apps are made by templates. Just pick one of the templates and follow the steps. Even a 7 years old kid can create its own app with AppsGeyser!
3. Instant access to app – Apps built in real time and can be used immediately. You can not only start using your app right away, but sharing it on Android App Markets.
4. App Distribution – Android apps are compatible with all popular Android markets including Google Play Store and Amazon App Store. You can publish your app on any existing app market for Android users!
5. Offline Capabilities – You can build Android app from online content – documents, texts, images, custom HTML code, etc. Users will have access to the app content without internet connection.
6. Free push notifications – No need to pay for push notification even on a basic plan. Send direct messages to your users and increase usage app ratio for free!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS APP BUILDER?
App Builder is an easy-to-use platform to make mobile apps without technical skills. You can develop apps online without coding just by using pre-made app templates.
HOW TO BUILD AN ANDROID APP?
To build an Android app, you need to go to the App Builder website, choose on the app templates for your purposes, and follow the step-by-step guide on the development page.
IS IT FREE TO BUID A MOBILE APP?
Yes, with AppsGeyser’s App Builder you can produce mobile apps for free. There are no charges for making, downloading, and sharing apps.
HOW TO BUILD A MOBILE APP WITHOUT CODING?
To build a mobile app without coding, you need to open one of the free app templates, upload the app content, and name your app. It’s that easy. Yes, with AppsGeyser’s App Builder you can produce mobile apps for free. There are no charges for making, downloading, and sharing apps.
CAN I BUILD AN APP FOR IOS ON APPSGEYSER?
No. AppsGeyser offers app templates only for Android app development. The Android app market is the largest in the world. It’s more popular than iOs. Plus, it’s less expensive to publish apps on Android app stores. That’s why we endorse you to build apps for Android, not iOs.
WILL YOU CHARGE ME FOR DOWNLOADING AN APK FILE?
No, AppsGeyser doesn’t charge for downloading apk files created with App Builder. The only paid options we offer are premium ones – no ads, custom branding, unlimited push notifications.
WHAT ARE BENEFITS OF MAKING A MOBILE APP WITH APPSGEYSER?
Making apps with AppsGeyser is more simple and completely free. Unlike our competitors, we don’t charge you for developing, using, and sharing apps created on the platform. App development with AppsGeyser is easy. It takes 10 minutes to build an Android app from scratch. You don’t need to know how to code or how to use complicated app constructors. Just fill the form of the app template and get your app! Even the 7-years old kid can build apps with AppsGeyser.
IS IT FREE TO SHARE A MOBILE APP MADE ON APPSGEYSER?
Yes, you can share and publish your Android app without any charges from AppsGeyser.
HOW TO USE APPSGEYSER APP BUILDER?
To start using AppsGeyser’s App Builder, open the Creation page with the list of app templates. There are 3 types of app templates: business, individual, games. Choose a template to proceed and follow the instructions inside. After building an app, you will have to create an account on AppsGeyser to download the apk.
WHAT IS THE BEST APP BUILDER?
AppsGeyser is the best App Builder. It offers a completely free app creation for any purpose.
WHAT IS AN APP TEMPLATE?
An app template is an app code file created by the App Builder. It can be edited via an online form. App templates are used to build native and functional mobile apps by inputting new content.
CAN I MAKE MONEY WITH MY ANDROID APP?
Yes. You can monetize your Android app created on the App Builder with one of the monetization options: banner advertising or in-app purchases.
CAN I BUILD AN APP ONLINE?
Yes. With AppsGeyser you can develop mobile apps without app making software. You can build an app on Windows, Linux, phone, tablet just by using the online website.
HOW MANY APPS CAN I BUILD?
You can build an unlimited number of Android apps on AppsGeyser’s App Builder. There are no limits and no need to pay to make hundreds of mobile apps.
HOW TO BUILD AN ANDROID APP FROM SCRATCH?
To build an Android app from scratch, open the App Builder website. Choose a free app template for your app idea. Then follow the simple instruction, input the content, and app name.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BUILD AN ANDROID APP?
To build an Android app, you need to come up with an app idea, then choose one of the relevant app templates and prepare content. The content for the app can include links, texts, images, videos.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BUILD AN APP?
With the App Builder, you can build an Android app within 10 minutes. Choose on on the free app templates to get your app in the shortest time possible!